Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Yeah I really think that Altec needed a "smaller" large format horn and had shit ton of 511b laying around. Someone probably had the good idea to cut off the flange and weld a large format flange on there.

    If I had kept mine I could tell you how they sound now. Fortunately the proceeds from the sale funded another audio project

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    There would be no sonic advantage over the small format drivers if the crossover was kept fairly high? I figured that there was something to gain if Altec went to the trouble of making them.
    At typical HIFI levels? Some will say 'yes' with a 500 Hz XO, but they are in the minority; otherwise they're technically a [big] step down overall.

    It was done to get high power handling in a compact package at a 'bargain basement' price to try and keep up with other brands with more budget to make all new SOTA studio monitors, but according to the local distributor it was a flop. As is, it doesn't even make a decent DJ speaker these days [at least around here].

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Its crazy the money they bring versus the 511b. It must just be the rarity that drives that

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Sure! If I had a lick o' sense I'd of scooped up the 511s back when you couldn't hardly give them away and had my welder buddy/neighbor up the street convert them all, then both models could be relatively scarce!

    GM
    Last edited by GM; December 9th, 2016 at 12:27 AM.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    If one needs to modify their radial horns so that they can reach a compromise to comfortably keep listening to these superb drivers ( ie Altec 288's ), then that's exactly what they ought to do.

    I listen to my 288-8K's through Emilar EH-500's.
    -Size wise, the EH-500 is very close to that of the 811B. My crossover point is @ 750hz .

    I hear ( through this smallish horn ), the same superb natural mid-range ( that 288's are noted for ) .
    I will say that tweeter-like "air or sparkle" is not the 288's forte, from my experience .

    You know, I've mixed audio for more than 40 years, and the inferences posted here within this thread that I should listen to something else ( due to not having full-sized horns ) amounts to more of the same personal dogma ( floated as fact ) that forces me avoid Pro-Audio forums.

    For those that want to modify 511's, here's a rough guide ( created by a previous long-term member who simply moved on, bfish ).

    9


  6. #16
    Junior Hostboard Member streetwise23's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2016
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Ok im going nuts following these forums! Im trying to figure out what the hell to do to build a phenomenal horn system. What does GM/Earl K anybody looking at this thread do if they were making a system for a room in the area 15x15-35x25? Ive followed alot of GM's threads and believe the MLTL is the right choice for a cab to get bass for days and im not worried about having refrigerator sized cabs as the center piece of the house. I like listening pretty damn loud at times and quiet others; and I listen to current hip hop with low low bass and high highs yet also go back to Django Reinhardt in the 30s and jazz and rock from the 50's 60s.
    Im looking for an extremely well balanced speaker system that will do just about everything right. I run a heavily modded Fisher 400 tube system coming in around 24watts per channel with the mods installed this thing can produce near perfect textbook square waves thanks to Dave Gillespie over on audiokarma.

    Back to the speakers so I read great things about the altec 416s and i love the altec midrange as I currently listen to seeburg speakers with a 12" utah and altec 806a 811b combo. So whats a good woofer for this size room that wont ever dissapoint? and whats a good pairing? Ive read about people loving the model 19 combo of 416-8b 802-8g and ive heard knocking of the small format drivers and the 811b horns for not having very flat response. I also see that a single 416 is still a bit low pairing with a 802/902?

    So again if you were going to build that one speaker system for my room arrangement with my amp and diverse listening habbits what would you create to make a system to "rule them all" for this arrangement.

    any and all responses are much appreciated
    all the best
    Paul

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    This is an interesting topic because I have a 2nd pair of 511b horns doing nothing, lusted after a 288 horn combo for some time now but the cost put a damper on that audio lust. Making the flanges would not be to much of a issue, and finding a shop to handle the welding should pose no problems either. Finding a pair of 288s at a decent price will be a problem.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Hi SD 50, I have a set of 291-16K drivers with the Symbiotik diaphragms that I want to use. I have not seen a direct comparison of the 288 and the 291 (Ceramic magnets) but I suspect that they are not that far off. Found a local Buy it Now on Ebay for the drivers for 125.00 (no shipping!) and bought good used diaphragms from a member here for 100 bucks. So with careful shopping you can find something to use.
    My plan is to blend the flange to the throat after they are welded on with epoxy and grind it smooth, like porting and polishing a cylinder head port.
    I was hoping that the combination of 511E horns and the large format driver would sound even better that my 811B/902 combination. I would be crossing them at either 800Hz or using the Model 19 crossover at 1200Hz.
    There hasn't been much written on how they sound and GM seems to think that it is a total waist of time and a set of horns. Now I'm up in the air as what to do. I have already picked up one horn to modify and would still have to purchase another. I don't want to have to much invested if it turns into a failure.
    What to do?

    BillWojo

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Quote Originally Posted by streetwise23 View Post
    Ok im going nuts following these forums! Im trying to figure out what the hell to do to build a phenomenal horn system. What does GM/Earl K anybody looking at this thread do if they were making a system for a room in the area 15x15-35x25? Ive followed alot of GM's threads and believe the MLTL is the right choice for a cab to get bass for days and im not worried about having refrigerator sized cabs as the center piece of the house. I like listening pretty damn loud at times and quiet others; and I listen to current hip hop with low low bass and high highs yet also go back to Django Reinhardt in the 30s and jazz and rock from the 50's 60s.
    Im looking for an extremely well balanced speaker system that will do just about everything right. I run a heavily modded Fisher 400 tube system coming in around 24watts per channel with the mods installed this thing can produce near perfect textbook square waves thanks to Dave Gillespie over on audiokarma.

    Back to the speakers so I read great things about the altec 416s and i love the altec midrange as I currently listen to seeburg speakers with a 12" utah and altec 806a 811b combo. So whats a good woofer for this size room that wont ever dissapoint? and whats a good pairing? Ive read about people loving the model 19 combo of 416-8b 802-8g and ive heard knocking of the small format drivers and the 811b horns for not having very flat response. I also see that a single 416 is still a bit low pairing with a 802/902?

    So again if you were going to build that one speaker system for my room arrangement with my amp and diverse listening habbits what would you create to make a system to "rule them all" for this arrangement.

    any and all responses are much appreciated
    all the best
    Paul
    Paul,

    I'll see if I can dig up the thread over the next couple of days ( it's here somewhere ) of a large ( Altec ) horn loaded system that was made ( Steve? ) using twin horn-loaded 15's with a 288/511e combo , topped off with a Heil? AMT-1a tweeter ( he also had subs ).

    So far my searches have come up empty.

    Given the space ( & personal energy ) I would consider building something along his lines .


  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Steve Mac [can't remember the rest of his last name]:

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/members/steve-mac.html

    webpage: Super Bad Cat

    DIY horn threads:

    80-800Hz Ideas on the right Altec solution

    Altec Inspired Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800Hz

    Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800 Hz

    Lots more [semi] related info if you search.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.